7/6/17

Employee Spotlight: Michael Shaw



My dad was a school teacher before he retired, so when I was younger my family would spend summers taking road trips to different national parks.  By the time I was 16 I had traveled to 48 of the 50 states, and I had seen more than half of the U.S. national parks. The family trips that I took as a kid instilled in me a respect for the scenery across the country and a love for the outdoors. I enjoy a wide variety of outdoor activities, and I’ve always dreamed of working in the outdoor industry. When I got the chance to work for Liberty Mountain, I jumped at the opportunity.


Name: Michael Shaw

Time working for Liberty Mountain: 2 years

Job title: Buyer

Short description of what you do at Liberty Mountain:  I’m the buyer for books, knives, and non-climbing imports. The main responsibility of my job is to maintain proper inventory levels through forecasting, reorder points, and purchase orders.

What do you like most about your job?  Forecasting sales for the year based on relevant information is one of the better parts of my job.

Active in the following sports/activities/hobbies: Hiking, Canyoneering, Biking, Skiing, Snowshoeing, Climbing, Unicycling

Favorite activity: I really enjoy most outdoor activities, so asking me to choose one is like asking a parent which child is their favorite, but if I have to pick just one it is probably hiking. My family traveled to a lot of national parks when I was younger, so hiking has always been a big part of my life.


Favorite outdoor areas: Glacier National Park and Banff National Park are two of my favorite places to visit. It’s hard to beat glacial lakes with a backdrop of snow covered peaks.

Piece of outdoor gear you most wish you had: At this point I have most of the outdoor gear that I need, but I wouldn’t mind upgrading my mountain bike in the near future.

Most interesting place ever lived:  I’ve really only lived in Salt Lake City, Utah and South Bend, Indiana. I can tell you with certainty that Salt Lake City is more interesting than South Bend in almost every measure imaginable.

Top-five favorite movies: The Princess Bride, Shawshank Redemption, Guardians of the Galaxy, You’ve Got Mail, Lord of the Rings

Top-five favorite books: Ender’s Game, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Princess Bride, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Harry Potter


First memory spending time Outdoors: Yellowstone is one of the first trips I remember.  My family went there just after the big fire, and I distinctly remember looking out and seeing the charred landscape. Every time I go back I’m reminded that even the most devastating events can create positive opportunities for growth.

Inspirational Hero: My Grandpa. He was a World War II veteran, and one of the most spectacular people I’ve ever met. He lost his eyesight in his 60’s, but he remained active into his 90’s.

Dream vacation: I would love to take a summertime trip to the Swiss Alps.

Favorite food to eat outside: I rarely go on outdoor adventures without having beef jerky in my pack. It’s my outdoor staple food.

Cake or pie:  Neither. I’m a cookie person.

Dogs or Cats:  Dogs
____________

Share this article with a friend:

No comments:

Post a Comment