6/5/17

Employee Spotlight - Abbie Brothers



I grew up on the East bench in Ogden, Utah, with miles of hiking trails literally right outside my front door. As young as 6-7 years old, I would walk across the street to the trailhead by myself and explore the hillside, camp out in a grove of trees for the day, or boulder my way up to some of the hidden caves. My family frequently hiked up to Waterfall Canyon on the weekends, and my parents even bravely tried to summit some of the taller peaks with us 4 young kids in tow. Our summer vacations were always spent either going down to southern Utah, or somewhere up in the Uintahs. Some of my best childhood memories are from camping in our pop-up trailer. 


When I moved to Salt Lake to attend the U, I was excited to explore a whole new set of hiking trails. Shortly after graduating from college, my husband and I decided to move to Seattle, and one of the things that drove our decision was the opportunity to explore an entirely different type of terrain. Hiking the rainforest and exploring the rocky beaches was definitely cool and new, but we quickly realized that nothing really compares to the Wasatch front. After 4 years (and twins!), we decided it was time to come back home. We now live at the base of Little Cottonwood Canyon, so I feel almost like I’ve come back to my roots of having access to hiking trails right outside my front door. I love that working at Liberty gives me the opportunity to combine my work and my personal passions in a way I’ve never really been able to before!    


Name: Abbie Brothers
Time working for Liberty Mountain: 8 months
Job title: Executive Assistant/Human Resources
Short description of what you do at Liberty Mountain: In short, help hire people, pay people, and help Gary!
What do you like most about your job? I love that both as HR and as Gary’s assistant I get the opportunity to interact with each department and employee in one way or another.


Active in the following sports/activities/hobbies: Hiking, running/trail-running, yoga, camping
Favorite activity: Hiking
Favorite outdoor areas: Little Cottonwood Canyon, and Lake Washington (Seattle)
Piece of outdoor gear you most wish you had: I’d love a SUP, but don’t think that I live near enough to a body of water to justify the purchase. If not that, one of those old school silver bullet campers!
Most interesting place ever lived: In college I lived in a very old, creepy, run-down, tiny house with a roommate. It had zero insulation, one tiny heater, and an empty room with just a stove and a fridge for a kitchen. But we loved it!


Top-five favorite movies: The Labyrinth, Love Actually, Titanic, Mean Girls, Old School
Top-five favorite books: Pride and Prejudice, Animal Dreams, The Great Gatsby, Harry Potter series, Bossypants
First memory spending time Outdoors: Not necessarily the first, but the most memorable is being maybe 10 or so and being swept down a river while swimming in Yellowstone. Obviously, I survived, but I now have a healthy fear of swimming across deep rivers. 
What or who inspires you: My parents successfully instilled their love of nature and being outside in their kids, which inspires me to try to do the same for my own children.


Dream vacation: I have never been to Europe, but really hope to go someday.
Favorite food to eat outside: Peanut butter and honey sandwiches
Cake or pie: Cookies
Dogs or Cats: Dogs (but I like cats, too…)

____________

Share this article with a friend:

No comments:

Post a Comment