9/6/16

Employee Spotlight: Aaron Smock


A little bit on what led Aaron to Liberty Mountain:

Liberty Mountain specializes in (almost) “Everything for the Outdoors”.  I like to think that I also specialize in (almost) everything in the outdoors.  I grew up playing soccer and really didn’t get into backcountry recreation until after I graduated from Virginia Tech (Go Hokies).  Through student courses with NOLS, I was exposed backpacking and sea kayaking.  The NOLS expeditions opened my eyes to wilderness travel and there was no turning back.  After NOLS I completed a Wilderness First Responder and training with the American Canoe Association.  I applied technical certifications to employment with a wilderness therapeutic treatment center, outdoor education, coastal ecology tour guiding, backcountry hiking trips for a high adventure summer camp, river running, trip leading with NOLS, a retail gear shop and eventually my employment with Liberty Mountain.  I am incredibly thankful that I was able to travel during my 20’s.  I learned a lot about myself and how to be a good team player through my time in the backcountry.  These days I am a true weekend warrior but behind the thin candy shell a wilderness enthusiast is patiently waiting for the next adventure. 




Name:  Aaron Smock     
Number of years working for Liberty Mountain: 4 as of April 2016
Job title:  Northeast Territory Rep
Short description of what you do at Liberty Mountain: I am an in-house sales rep and I am the main point of contact for our retail partners.  I process orders, represent our house/exclusive brands, attend trade shows, and visit retailers.
Active in the following sports/activities/hobbies: In the summer I enjoy hiking, biking, kayaking, and camping.  In the winter months I ski




Favorite activity: Discovering a new, super hoppy IPA
Favorite outdoor areas: Baja, Mexico, Prince William Sound, AK, The Kimberly of Western Australia, Wind River Range, WY
Most interesting place ever lived: Burlington, VT
Least interesting place ever lived: I spent 9 months in the womb and I couldn’t wait to get out!
Top-five favorite movies: Big Lebowski, Star Wars, Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Animal House, Pulp Fiction



Top-five favorite books: Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, Monkey Wrench Gang, Allen & Mike’s Really Cool Telemark Tips, National Audubon Society Field Guide to the Rocky Mountain States, Giving Tree
Top-five favorite bands: Grateful Dead, Phish, Beastie Boys, 10 foot Ganja Plant
Inspirational Hero: Jack Donaghy from 30 Rock
Inspirational quote: Ty Webb: Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher, Basho, once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.' He was a funny guy.
Dream vacation:  Road Bike tour of Ireland
Cake or pie:  Pie ‘til I die!


No comments:

Post a Comment