5/16/13

Getting Outdoors in the Big City


Liberty Mountain employee, Michael Portanda shares with us a photo essay about how he enjoys getting outdoors in the big city.

I love climbing! I'm not exactly sure where I would be, or what I would be doing, if I would have never been introduced to climbing. If it weren’t for climbing I wouldn’t have had the opportunities to visit the many off-the-radar places that I've been to, nationally and internationally.

Truth be told...I’m a New Yorker, born and raised. And as much as I love camping out in the middle of nowhere and climbing up some obscured off-angle pieces of rock, I also love going back to the Big Apple. Something about it always draws me back even though it’s not your typical climber’s destination.

I love the sights and sounds of NYC. The entire city is full of art, not just in the museums but on the streets. NYC has a vibe and swagger that only NYC can produce. The diversity there leaves my stomach happy with all the different ethnic foods that I have no idea how to pronounce. And you can't forget the people. Love them or hate them, NYC wouldn’t be what it is today without the people.


I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a city boy. As much as I believe I can live in a cabin surrounded by a wooded forrest with no one around for miles, I still need my taste of city life every now and then. Maybe that’s why I love living in Salt Lake City, easy access to the outdoor lifestyle with a touch of that city life that I crave.  I'm not too sure what my future has in store for me, but I do know that I’ll still be climbing, periodically visiting NYC, and for now calling Salt Lake City my home.






 

Michael Portanda is a talented photographer and is usually found behind a lens. Check out his work on his website and Facebook page.

_________
Subscribe to our RSS feed for future articles. SUBSCRIBE NOW.
Like what you read? Share it with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment