10/29/12

The Golden Eagle Trail

The following trip report is from Nicole Porter, a Liberty Mountain Sales Rep who lives in Pennsylvania.

Recently, I hiked one of the best trails in PA. The Golden Eagle Trail has everything you could want in a hike. Just over 9 miles, it's great for a day hike, with vistas, hardwoods, massive pines, creeks, old logging camps relics, climbs, descents, and "the horn". Raven's horn is an outcrop of rock with a view that will leave you amazed and revived...especially after the climb it took to get up there.




The leaves were looking pretty spectacular and the day was cloudless. My husband Chad and I, along with the rest of our group, took our time and enjoyed all of the sights this trail had to offer. The autumn smells, the raining multi-colored leaves, and the crisp air were just amazing. I was in serious heaven. The best part of the trail in my opinion is after the Raven's Horn (when hiking counter clockwise) where the trail descends down to Wolf Run and you are nestled between there and Pine Creek. The mountains just wrap right around you and everything is calm. I could have stayed there all day.






The G.E.T. is located in the Tiadaghton State Forest and was constructed by the PA Bureau of Forestry and the Waterdale Youth Group. Because of the rugged topography, camping along the trail is extremely limited, so is not permitted on this trail. I would highly recommend this to anyone in the area. I would also recommend following it up with a drink of your choice at the Waterville Hotel.


No comments:

Post a Comment